Presence, it does make a difference

Please take time to read this interesting article...quite meaningful. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it...


What is PRESENCE?

A man going abroad to work leaves his fiancee crying. "Don't worry, I will write to you everyday," he said. For years he did write her. But since he was happy with his job, he had no immediate plans of going home.

One day, he received a wedding invitation. His girlfriend was scheduled to be married. To whom? To the mailman bringing regularly the letters of her boyfriend! Indeed, distance does make hearts flounder.

The poor boyfriend surely explained, "What went wrong? I sent her letters, chocolates and flowers."

When relationships go wrong, the list of things given and done for the person usually crops up. We say, "I have given you this and that...I have done these things for you!" It seems that love is simply proven by the bestowal of gifts and favors. But while presents are important, love demands what is basic: 'presence of the beloved'.

I have observed for instance, the orchids of my mother's. When she's away for a long time, they are unhealthy and many of them wither. But when she is around, they bloom with beautiful flowers. My mother does nothing exceptional. She just spends much time talking and caressing them.

I guess persons all the more require a caring presence.

Love is fundamentally a commitment to a person. We may be committed to our business, job, hobby, sports and clubs. But strictly speaking, they cannot love us back. Only a person can love us in return, and for that matter, the highest commitment as human beings, is spending time with those persons we love.

And since people need affection and nourishment, material things can only help up to a certain degree of fostering love. But it can never replace the great! Test gift of presence because everyone needs someone - be it friends, parents, siblings or simply that 'special' one.

Being there for someone need not necessary mean having to say a lot. Words are sometimes redundant. Remember that 'presence' (to be there for someone) is more than enough.

So, make your presence felt as in the case of the following story. Martha was busy with her job. She believed she had to work harder because she loves her father who is sick of cancer. She has to provide for his expensive medicines. Her brothers and sisters meanwhile, stayed with their father most of the time. They bathed him, sang for him, spoon-fed him or simply kept him company.

One day Martha overheard her father telling her mother, "All our children love me except Martha." She was hurt. "How can this be," Martha thought. "Am I not the one killing myself in my work to have money to buy for his medicines? My brothers and sisters do not even provide their share in the expenses at all! So much as I do." One night, when Martha was home, late as usual, she peeped for the first time in the room where her father was lying.

She noticed that her father was still awake. She decided to go close to his bedside. Her father held her hands and said, "I miss you. I don't have much time, stay with me." And she stayed with her father holding his hand the whole night. The next morning Martha said to everybody, "I have taken leave of absence. I would like to be with father. I will bathe him and sing for him from now on." Her father had a beautiful smile. He knew this time Martha loves him.

*As children, we need the assuring presence of our loved ones. Adults need no less*

Make is simple. Make it memorable. Make it fun.
I got this from Anselm's blog. Selm, hope you won't mind me copyrighting. Haha! Anyway, right here I let you know, I don't like the sound of you closing down your blog. Please keep it open can you? You know you've got readers. Faithful readers like me =) Really love your blog. So please, just keep it. *hugs*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Came True

YBKMM Excellent Brand Appreciation Charity Night'10

Celcom Xplay Party